Health Care Administration
School/College: College of Health Sciences
No Graduate Degree Conferred: Courses Only
Courses numbered 300-699 are Undergraduate/Graduate. Courses numbered 700 and above are Graduate only.
- 444 Introduction to Text Retrieval and Its Applications in Biomedicine. 3 cr. U/G.
- Introduction to text retrieval, text classification and their biomedical applications; topics include: indexing, query processing, and document retrieval methods. Jointly offered with & counts as repeat of CompSci 444, CompSci 744, & HCA 744. Prereq: jr st; CompSci 351(P) or HCA 442(P).
- 497 Health Care Administration - Study Abroad: (Subtitled). 1-12 cr. U/G.
- Designed to enroll students in UWM sponsored program before course work level, content, and credits are determined and/or in specially prepared program course work. Retakable w/chg in topic. Prereq: jr st; acceptance to Study Abroad Prog.
- 521 (420) Advanced Systems Thinking for Healthcare Leaders. 3 cr. U/G.
- An in-depth view of systems theory, Deming's system of profound knowledge, and Goldratt's theory of constraints and how these theories can improve healthcare organizations. Prereq: jr st; HCA 340(P) & Bus Adm 330(P).
- 537 (HCA 337) Introduction to Healthcare Databases and Technologies. 3 cr. U/G.
- Introduction to origins, sources and content of healthcare data; technologies used to manage and control healthcare databases. Prereq: jr st in Hlth Sci or minor in HCA or HCI cert or cons instr; HS 224 (HCA 224)(P) or L&I Sci 110(P) or Bus Adm 230(P).
- 541 (HCA 441) Healthcare Information Systems Analysis and Design. 3 cr. U/G.
- Overview of health facility computerized information systems. Information systems theory, systems analysis, and implementation of computer systems from a managerial/planning perspective. Prereq: jr st; HCA 337(P)
- 542 (442) Healthcare Database Design and Management. 3 cr. U/G.
- Study of database structure, data models, and operations issues. Emphasis on data security, integrity, integration, and access. Healthcare database applications. Prereq: HCA 541(441)(P) or L&I Sci 340(P).
- 590 Topics in Health Sciences: (Subtitled). 1-3 cr. U/G.
- Topics of current interest within the field of health sciences. The theme for each semester's offering will be posted. May be repeated with change in topic to max of 9 cr for grad students. Prereq: jr st; cons instr for grad cr.
- 699 Advanced Independent Study: 1-3 cr. U/G.
- May be retaken with change in topic. Prereq: U: jr st, 2.5 gpa, writ cons instr; G: grad st; writ cons instr.
- 700 Introduction to Health Care Informatics. 2 cr. G.
- An introduction to the history, theory, applications, and organizational context of health informatics. Prereq: grad st or cons instr.
- 721 Health Information Technology Procurement. 3 cr. G.
- A study of the concepts related to acquisition of information technology, including evaluation, selection, and contracts. Emphasis on integration of information technology and strategic planning. Prereq: grad st; Bus Adm 749(C) or CompSci 557(C) or HCA 442 (HIA 442)(C) or cons instr.
- 722 Legal, Ethical and Social Issues in Health Care Informatics. 3 cr. G.
- Legal, ethical and social issues in the use of health care computer-based technology and information systems. Prereq: grad st
- 723 Health Care Systems Applications - Administrative and Clinical. 3 cr. G.
- A study of the administrative and clinical applications of health information systems with emphasis on content, functional and technical requirements. Prereq: grad st; Bus Adm 749(C) or CompSci 557(C) or HCA 442 (HIA 442)(C) or cons instr.
- 744 Text Retrieval and Its Applications in Biomedicine. 3 cr. G.
- Fundamental issues and current research in text retrieval, text classification and their biomedical applications; programming and use of indexing, query processing, and document retrieval methods. Not open to students who have cr in COMPSCI 744, COMPSCI 444 or HCA 444. Prereq: grad st; COMPSCI 351 (P) or HCA 442 (P) or cons instr
- 760 Biomedical and Healthcare Terminology and Ontology. 3 cr. G.
- Theory and application of ontology, controlled terminology, and coding to health information systems. Prereq: grad st
- 890 Health Care Informatics Research and Thesis. 1-6 cr. G.
- Preparation of a thesis under the direction of the student's major professor. Prereq: grad st, cons instr.
- 891 Health Care Informatics Professional Project. 3 cr. G.
- Preparation of a professional project under the supervision of the student's major professor. Prereq: grad st; cons instr.
- 909 Guided Teaching Experience in Health Sciences. 3 cr. G.
- This course provides the student, under the supervision of a faculty member, with the opportunity to design, deliver, and evaluate an undergraduate course. Jointly offered w/ and counts as a repeat of BMS (C L Sci) 909. Prereq: grad st; Occ Thpy 900(P); cons instr
- 990 Research and Dissertation. 1-6 cr. G.
- Research in HealthCare Administration and Informatics. Prereq: grad st