Post Master's Family Nurse Practitioner Certificate
The post master's family nurse practitioner certificate is designed for registered nurses that have already completed a master's degree in nursing and wish to pursue preparation as a family nurse practitioner.
The admission requirements of the post master's family nurse practitioner program are consistent with those requirements specified by the Graduate School of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. In addition, students must also meet the following requirements for the College of Nursing:
- A master's degree in Nursing from an accredited program.
- Completion—with a grade of B or better—of a graduate-level course in physiology, pharmacology, comprehensive assessment, and epidemiology. Evidence of prescriptive authority in the state of Wisconsin will be accepted in place of graduate pharmacology.
- Current registration as a professional nurse in the state of Wisconsin.
- Three (3) letters of recommendation, two (2) of which are from persons most knowledgeable about the applicant's recent academic and work experiences. Personal interviews with a faculty member may be requested.
- Completion of an autobiographical sketch.
Credits and Courses
Designated coursework in the certificate program is completed under the direction of faculty experts and clinical preceptors. A three consecutive semester sequence of theory and practicum courses totally 21 credits is required for completion of the post master's family nurse practitioner certificate program. Students will need to maintain a 3.0 GPA and meet all other requirements for progression through the practicum courses.
- Family Nurse Practitioner Theory Courses (9 credits)
- 767 Family Nurse Practitioner Theory I, 3 cr.
- 768 Family Nurse Practitioner Theory II, 3 cr.
- 769 Family Nurse Practitioner Theory III, 3 cr.
- Family Nurse Practitioner Practica Courses (12 credits)
- 757 Family Nurse Practitioner Practicum I, 3 cr.
- 758 Family Nurse Practitioner Practicum II, 5 cr.
- 759 Family Nurse Practitioner Practicum III, 4 cr.
Minimum Grade Requirement
For continuation in the program, in addition to general Graduate School requirements students must achieve a minimum grade of B in all required FNP practicum courses and a minimum grade of B- in all other required courses.