- School of Information Studies
Certificate of Advanced Study in Digital Libraries
The Certificate of Advanced Study (CAS) in Digital Libraries is designed to help working professionals update their knowledge and develop specialty relating to the acquisition, organization and maintenance of digital content, virtual collections and services. It will enable students to either alter the direction of a career path or to enrich, update, and strengthen their skills and their knowledge of their field.
Eligibility and Admission
A master of library and information science degree or a master's degree in a closely related field such as computer science or educational technology with a minimum of a 3.0 grade point average is required for admission.
- All graduate certificate applicants—even those already enrolled in a UWM graduate program—must apply to the Graduate School through the UW System application. At the Reason for Applying screen, check Graduate Non-Degree.
- Graduate degree students who decide to pursue a certificate program must submit the System application before completing 6 credits in the certificate sequence.
Credits and Courses
The CAS candidate will complete 15 credits of coursework, planned in conjunction with his or her advisor, and approved by the Dean of the School of Information Studies as an individually designed program suited for the needs and professional objectives of the student.
- A minimum of 12 credits must be taken in the School of Information Studies.
- Up to 3 credits may be taken in another UWM school or department.
- No thesis is required, but students may obtain up to 3 credits in independent research which is included as a part of the total approved program.
Articulation with Degree Programs
No more than 50% of the credits required for a certificate may count toward meeting UWM graduate degree requirements.
Those who have completed appropriate coursework as part of the UWM MLIS degree must complete at least 9 additional credits to earn the certificate.
Grade Point Average Requirement
A minimum cumulative 3.00 grade point average in certificate courses taken at UWM is required.
The program must be completed within a period of 3 years from first enrollment.