New Student Resources
Online companion to the new graduate student orientation
You and your advisor:
A vital relationship for success
- Graduate School Advisor vs. Mentor: What's the Difference?
- Graduate Student Advising and Mentoring Relationships
(The Graduate School, Michigan State University)
Thriving in graduate school
- Surviving Graduate School: Part 1 • Part 2
(New Mexico State University — via YouTube)
- 10 Things Every Student Should Know Before Applying to Graduate School (gradschools.com)
- What I Learned About Surviving Graduate School (Chronicle of Higher Education)
- Take time to laugh: The Grad Student Rap (Adam Ruben)
Fellowships, assistantships & health benefits
Getting involved: graduate student life
UWM centers for student assistance and enrichment
- Career Development Center
- Center for International Education (CIE)
- Children's Learning Center: Reduced child-care costs for graduate students.
- Equity Diversity Services: Promoting “Unity In Diversity.”
- Financial Aid
(Department of Financial Aid, Student Employment, and Military Education Benefits)
- Housing: Limited UWM housing available to grad students.
- Intramural Sports: At the Klotsche Center.
- LGBT Resource Center
- Military Education Benefits Office: Information and timely processing of state and federal military educational benefits.
- Norris Health Center: Low-cost grad student insurance available.
- Outdoor Pursuits Center: Outdoor recreation equipment rental.
- PantherCard/Student ID: A key to many UWM services and events.
- Parking and Transportation
- Recreational Sports & Facilities (Klotsche Center) Free to students.
- School of Continuing Ed.: Professional development opportunities.
- Student Accessibility Center (SAC): Services for students with disabilities
- University Information Technology Services (UITS)
- University Safety & Assurances: IRB, safety promotion
- UWM Libraries resources and services: Your research Assistant
- UWM Police: Be safe.
- Women’s Resource Center: Education, support and advocacy.
- Writing Center, The: Provides support for all subjects and skill levels.