Application Submission Deadlines
Graduate programs set their own fellowship application deadlines, which appear below.
Note: It's possible that deadlines will change, so please contact your program to verify its date.
|Africology||Contact Your Program|
|Anthropology||Contact Your Program|
|Architecture - Architecture -- M.Arch.||01/15/2015|
|Architecture - Architecture -- M.S.Arch.||01/15/2015|
|Architecture - Architecture -- Ph.D.||01/15/2015|
|Art - Art -- M.A.||01/07/2015|
|Art - Art -- M.F.A.||01/07/2015|
|Biomedical and Health Informatics||01/23/2015|
|Business NDC||Contact Your Program|
|Chemistry||Contact Your Program|
|Communication||Contact Your Program|
|Communication Sciences and Disorders||Contact Your Program|
|Computer Science||Contact Your Program|
|Criminal Justice||Contact Your Program|
|Cultural Foundations of Education||Contact Your Program|
|Curriculum and Instruction||Contact Your Program|
|Economics||Contact Your Program|
|Educational Psychology||Contact Your Program|
|Environmental and Occupational Health||01/15/2015|
|Exceptional Education||Contact Your Program|
|Executive M.B.A.||Contact Your Program|
|Geosciences||Contact Your Program|
|Health Care Informatics||Contact Your Program|
|History||Contact Your Program|
|Human Resources and Labor Relations||Contact Your Program|
|Language, Literature, and Translation||Contact Your Program|
|Liberal Studies||Contact Your Program|
|Library and Information Science||01/02/2015|
|Linguistics||Contact Your Program|
|Mathematics||Contact Your Program|
|Media Studies||Contact Your Program|
|Music||Contact Your Program|
|Nonprofit Management and Leadership||Contact Your Program|
|Nursing||Contact Your Program|
|Nursing Practice||Contact Your Program|
|Performing Arts - Dance||Contact Your Program|
|Performing Arts - Film||Contact Your Program|
|Physical Therapy||Contact Your Program|
|Physics||Contact Your Program|
|Political Science||Contact Your Program|
|Psychology - Clinical Psychology -- Ph.D.||12/26/2014|
|Psychology - Experimental Psychology -- Ph.D.||12/26/2014|
|Psychology - Terminal Experimental Psychology||12/26/2014|
|Social Welfare||Contact Your Program|
|Spanish||Contact Your Program|
|Urban Education||Contact Your Program|
|Women's Studies||Contact Your Program|
The Graduate School currently offers three fellowships for full-time study, each with a monthly stipend for the academic year, coverage of in-state tuition and remission of out-of-state tuition (for students who are not residents of the State of Wisconsin), and eligibility for state-sponsored health insurance. Fellowship recipients are responsible for paying segregated fees.
- The Distinguished Graduate Student Fellowship (DGSF) is for new and continuing UWM graduate students. The DGSF is a one-year, non-renewable fellowship. The academic-year stipend for 2015-2016 is $15,000. In addition, Fellowship recipients will benefit from a $1,000 travel award that will accompany each fellowship award. The money should be spent in accordance with UWM travel regulations by the end of the fiscal year following the year in which the fellowship award is held. The money will be spent on travel to present at a major national or international conference in the student's discipline. The DGSF is not open to doctoral students who will achieve dissertator status by the application deadline for the award.
- The Distinguished Dissertation Fellowship (DDF) is for current UWM Ph.D. students who have either achieved dissertator status or will achieve dissertator status during the award year. The DDF is a one-year, non-renewable fellowship. The academic-year fellowship stipend for 2015-2016 is $16,500. In addition, recipients will benefit from a $1,000 travel award that will accompany each fellowship award.
- The Advanced Opportunity Program (AOP) Fellowship for new and continuing qualified UWM graduate students who are:
- Members of groups underrepresented in graduate study.
- First-generation college graduates who were eligible for Pell Grants or considered "high financial need."
- Students with disabilities.
The AOP is renewable. The academic-year fellowship stipend for 2015-2016 is $15,000.
AOP fellowship applicants must be American citizens or permanent residents of the United States.
Note: Graduate School fellowship stipends count as financial aid.
Application Procedures and Selection Process
- Application submission. The fellowship application and the letters of recommendation must be submitted online to the applicant's graduate program unit by the published application deadline.
- Program unit evaluation. Following the application deadline, each unit evaluates all applications received, selects applicants for nomination, completes all nomination procedures, and forwards nominations to the campus-wide competition.
- Selection process. For Distinguished Dissertation Fellowships and Distinguished Graduate Student Fellowships, the Graduate Faculty Committee's Subcommittee on Graduate Fellowships reviews campus-wide nominations and selects recipients. For AOP Fellowships, the Advanced Opportunity Program Fellowship Selection Committee reviews campus-wide nominations and selects recipients.
- Award announcements. All nominees of the Distinguished Graduate Student Fellowship and Distinguished Dissertation Fellowship receive official written notification of fellowship award decisions from the Graduate Fellowship Office. All nominees of the Advanced Opportunity Program Fellowship receive official written notification of fellowship award decisions from the Graduate Diversity and Opportunities Program Office.
All fellowship recipients must be enrolled in a graduate degree program at UWM during the award period. Fellows must meet the Graduate School continuation requirements each semester and comply with the following Graduate Faculty Committee regulations:
- Fellowship recipients must carry and complete a full load of 8-12 graduate credits each semester during the academic year and a minimum of 5 graduate credits if the fellowship is held during the summer session. Doctoral candidates who have attained dissertator status must carry three dissertator credits per semester.
- Fellowship recipients may not hold any other fellowship or scholarship concurrently with a Graduate School award, with the exception of small monetary awards or the UWM Chancellor's Graduate Student Award.
- Fellowship recipients may not accept full-time employment. University appointments (maximum of 25% TA, PA, or RA), or other student outside employment of up to 10 hours per week, are allowable.
Fellows are eligible for health insurance benefits.
If you are interested in health insurance or other fringe benefits, you must apply within 30 days of your first contractual day in your initial UWM appointment. If a summer-session appointment is offered at the same time as a fall appointment, you must enroll within 30 days of the summer appointment. Contact the Benefits Office at email@example.com for more information.
International students: Health and accident insurance is required of all international students attending UWM. Most international students purchase insurance from an insurance plan through CIE's International Student and Scholar Services. Please contact ISSS for information regarding an online application.
Applications for all Graduate School fellowships are online.
To find out what information is required without starting an online application, select the appropriate fellowship below
For more information about the Distinguished Graduate Student or Distinguished Dissertation fellowship, please contact the Graduate School at 229-7177 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about the AOP fellowships and applications, contact Desere Liddell (email@example.com, (414) 229-6538).