OSP is responsible for registering the institution and individual PI's on all electronic proposal systems. If this is a requirement of the sponsor, contact a pre-award proposal reviewer to register the institution for you. Also, some electronic systems allow the PI to submit the proposal to the sponsor. However, institutional approval needs to be obtained before doing so.
The procedure for obtaining on-campus approvals and routing of electronic proposals is the same as for hard copy proposals. The PI needs to:
- Contact a pre-award proposal reviewer as early as possible to help with the process, review the budget, etc.
- Read the guidelines and prepare the application in the format required by the sponsor. Print a copy for campus approvals and routing.
- Create a WISPER record (electronic T-form). Attach all related documents (e.g., final proposal (if possible) or a project description, budget, budget narrative, support letters, agency guidelines) before routing the signed WISPER record according to the WISPER instructions for your school or college.
- If an electronic system allows a proposal to be submitted without institutional approval, wait to submit until your pre-award contact notifies you that all institutional approvals are in place.
Caution: Allow plenty of time, and then a little more, for electronic proposal submission. Deadlines have been missed because of problems with uploading files, slow computer response time, and network failure.
Electronic Proposal Systems
The links below will take you to instructions for uploading and submitting electronic proposals to federal and non-federal sponsors. If you have any information regarding an update (e.g., new sponsor to add or change to an existing item), please contact a pre-award proposal reviewer who works with that agency.
- American Heart Association (IE, Safari, or Chrome browsers only): Hard copy must be approved by OSP before submission by PI.
- Army CDMRP: For Preliminary submissions only: online forms completed by PI and final submission by OSP. Beginning Fiscal Year 2007, full proposals requesting funding from the CDMRP will be submitted through Grants.gov.
- Army Research Office: File must be e-mailed by OSP to the ARO.
- Autism Speaks (Merged with National Alliance for Autism Research in 2006): Online forms completed by PI and approved online by OSP. PI must then return and confirm submission.
- Dept of Energy IIPS: All DOE Programs must now be submitted via Grants.gov except Renewals and Supplements.
- Dept of Education e-Grants: Hard copy must be approved by OSP before submission by PI. Face page signed by OSP must be submitted in follow up to Dept of Education.
- Dept of Education IES Constella: Online forms completed by PI and submitted by OSP.
- EPA Great Lakes Program Office: Proprietary software forms submitted via e-mail by OSP.
- Grants.gov: Application must be submitted by OSP. UWM is registered to submit applications via grants.gov. Faculty/staff should not attempt to register, as it is not needed in order to download application packages. For institutional information required for Applications for Federal Assistance, see the sample SF 424 and SF424 (R&R) pages.
- March of Dimes: Hard copy must be approved by OSP before submission by PI.
- NASA NSPIRES: Online forms completed by PI and approved online by OSP.
- NIH Commons: Online forms completed by PI and submitted by OSP or Dean's/Division Office.
- NSF Fastlane: Online forms completed by PI and submitted by OSP.
- Proposal Central: Hard copy must be approved by OSP before submission by PI.
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation: Hard copy must be approved by OSP before submission by PI.
- Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation: Hard copy must be approved by OSP before submission by PI.