Some grant programs limit the number of applications each institution may submit. For such programs, prospective applicants submit a letter of intent (LOI) to the Graduate School. If the number of LOIs exceeds the allowable number of submissions, an internal competition is held, whereby pre-proposals from applicants are reviewed by an internal review panel, which chooses the finalist(s). Those selected then submit a full proposal to the sponsor. Each step in the process has a specific deadline. Known limited submission programs and deadlines are posted at the end of this page.
Generally, the LOI submitted to the Graduate School is due 12 weeks before the sponsor’s deadline. This timeframe allows two weeks for the PI to write a pre-proposal if necessary, two weeks for the review panel to read the pre-proposals, meet, and reach a decision; and at least eight weeks for the PI(s) selected to complete the final proposal and application.
Additional funding opportunities will be posted and sent to department chairs, associate deans, and unit research representatives as the Graduate School becomes aware of them.
Letter of Intent
In an e-mail to email@example.com, PI to include:
- Name of funding agency and program.
- PI, co-investigators’ names, departments, and institutions.
- Project Title.
- Statement that they meet all eligibility criteria in sponsor’s announcement.
- Names of 2-3 UWM faculty who are knowledgeable in the area of the intended proposal, and would not have a conflict of interest in serving as reviewers or panelists.
All applicants will be notified within three days of the LOI deadline if pre-proposals are needed, what format these should be in, and the deadline for pre-proposal submission.
If an internal competition is necessary, each PI must submit a pre-proposal to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Most pre-proposals should follow this format*:
- Names, departments, institutions of PI and co-investigators.
- Project title.
- Project narrative (4 pg. max.) to include: research plan , significance of the proposed study, expected/intended outcomes, how the proposal meets the objectives of the specific grant, the role of personnel involved.
- Budget summary:
- Explanation of cost-sharing/matching requirements. (What is the program requirement, if any? Who will provide the required campus funds?)
- If this is a resubmission, you are encouraged to explain how the full proposal will be changed to respond to previous reviewers’ comments.
*Other pre-proposal formats may be required for certain funding opportunities. PIs will be informed of these upon submission of the LOI.
Composition of Review Panel
The Graduate School dean and associate deans as a group will select reviewers from those named by the applicants, any former UWM recipients of the award, and others as deemed necessary for sufficient representation on the panel.
Proposal Review and Selection
Each proposal will be assigned a primary reader who will present the proposal to the review panel, and be responsible for providing substantive comments that can be shared with the applicant.
The review panel will make the final selection of proposals to be submitted.
Criteria upon which the decision will be made are:
- The responsiveness to the program solicitation.
- The PI’s/research team’s qualifications in the specific area of research.
- The clarity and coherence of the pre-proposal.
Limited Submission Programs
If you are aware of any limited submission programs not listed here, please contact Kathleen Koch (email@example.com, x3699).
If you are interested in applying to any of these programs, an internal Letter of Intent must be sent to research@ uwm.edu by the deadline listed below.
|Sponsor||Program||Internal Letter of intent Due 5:00 p.m. on:||Sponsor Deadline||Specific Limitation per RFP||Areas||Status *|
|National Science Foundation||Partnerships for Innovation: Building Innovation Capacity||8/26/2013
Follow sponsor's format
|Two proposals per university||Platform Technologies; “Smart” Service Systems||CONTACT firstname.lastname@example.org|
|National Science Foundation||Research Experiences for Teachers (RET) in Engineering and Computer Science||7/15/2013||10/7/2013||Three proposals per institution||Engineering and Computer Science||CONTACT email@example.com|
|National Science Foundation||Advancing Digitalization of Biodiversity Collections||8/2/2013||10/25/2013||Only one proposal may be submitted by any one organization as the lead organization. Organizations may be involved in more than one collaborative effort as a non-lead proposal||Biological Sciences, Geosicences||OPEN|
|US-IEF||Obama-Singh 21st Century Knowledge Initiative||8/9/2013||11/1/2013||One proposal per institution. Institutions that have received an OSI grant in the past are not eligible to apply again.||Energy; Sustainable Development; Climate Change; Environmental Studies; Education and Educational Reform; Public Health; and Community Development and Innovation.||OPEN|
|National Science Foundation||Scholarships in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (S-STEM)||UWM schools/colleges to conduct internal review if necessary—contact your dean.||8/13/2013||one proposal from each constituent school or college that awards degrees in an eligible field||Scholarships, STEM||OPEN|
|National Science Foundation||Industry/University Cooperative Research Centers Program||4/5/2013 and 10/14/2013 - Follow sponsor's format||LOI: 6/28/2013 and 1/6/2014; Full Proposal 9/27/2013 and 3/4/2014||Any institution may submit multiple-university center proposals provided that the proposed research topics involve different disciplines and support different industries||Engineering||OPEN|
|National Science Foundation||Major Research Instrumentation Program||10/28/2013||1/24/2014||Three proposals per institution, no more than two may be for instrument acquisition||Science and Engineering||OPEN|
|National Science Foundation||Collections in Support of Biological Research||4/21/2014||7/14/2014||Three proposals per institution||Biological Sciences||OPEN|
* Status definitions:
- CLOSED = Letter of Intent deadline has passed and limit has been reached; competition closed to all applicants.
- OPEN = Letter of Intent deadline has not yet passed.
- CONTACT firstname.lastname@example.org = Letter of Intent deadline has passed, but limit has not been reached.