Research and Creative Activities Support (RACAS) Award: 2015 Request for Proposals
(Formerly the Faculty Research and Creative Activities Support Award [FRACAS])
Deadline: 9:00am on Monday, December 1, 2014
The Research and Creative Activities Support (RACAS) Awards provide competitive support for faculty and instructional and research academic staff across the breadth of meritorious scholarship at UWM. The main intent of the program is to fund high-quality research projects and creative endeavors in their early stages.
Supported projects are expected to result in appropriate scholarly products that will increase the national and international recognition of the awardees, their programs, and the institution. Examples include publications, creative works, proposals for extramural funding and/or named fellowships, and artistic performances.
Grants may be funded up to a maximum of $15,000 for individual applicants or $25,000 for two or more UWM applicants working on a project.
Eligible Project Expenses
- Summer salary (1/9th annual salary, or the award maximum, whichever is less).
- Course release.
- Graduate student hourly help.
- Travel to conduct research or to present the results of the research.
- Purchase of services (e.g., lab work, consultants).
- Other supplies and expenses (including subventions).
RACAS awards cannot be used to support:
- Curriculum projects.
- Service projects.
- Development of commercial products.
- Have a tenure-track or tenured faculty appointment, or an instructional or research academic staff appointment with the expectation of renewal.
- Have not received a Research Committee or FRACAS Award during the three years preceding the award year. (Those who received awards beginning July 2014, 2013, or 2012 are ineligible for the current competition.).
- Have satisfied the terms and conditions of previous internal awards.
- Are not on notice of non-retention.
- (Faculty and Academic Staff with Indefinite Status only) Will be at UWM in the academic year following the award year. (If a grantee fails to complete this required term of continued service, full reimbursement to the Office of Research of all expended funds is required).
- Do not have primary budget authority (i.e. chancellor, vice chancellor, deans, associate deans).
- Faculty who received $100,000 or more in start-up funds cannot apply until their sixth year.
- Applicants are limited to one proposal as lead investigator per application cycle, but can be a co-investigator on other proposals.
Project Narrative Format
The narrative is limited to four singled-spaced pages with one-inch margins. Includes graphs, illustrations, figures, or pictures. Minimum one-inch margins. Minimum font size is 11 point in Arial, Tahoma, Times New Roman, or Georgia. Any proposal exceeding four pages will not be reviewed.
Email the completed proposal and all required attachments to email@example.com by 9:00am on Monday, December 1, 2014.
RACAS employs a two-stage review process.
Office of Research staff sort proposals into groups by topic, then identify and contact potential internal reviewers with subject expertise for a proposal group. When possible, reviewers will be former Research Committee or FRACAS award recipients. All Stage One reviewers provide ratings (defined below) and written comments.
A second, broadly representative review panel evaluates the top-rated proposals and makes funding recommendations. For both stages, reviewers remain anonymous and all reviewer feedback is anonymized before being reported back to applicants.
Eligible applications will be reviewed according to the following criteria:
- Originality of the proposal.
- Clarity of the proposal.
- Potential contribution to the field.
- Feasibility of success based on budget, time, required skills, past performance and access to needed resources.
Criteria 1-4 above are scored on a 1-to-10 scale (10 = highest score), and equally weighted. In addition, reviewers will make a funding recommendation:
- Recommended for funding.
- Recommend if funds are available after A-level awards are made.
- Do not fund.
The Vice Provost for Research, Associate Vice Provost for Research, and RACAS administrator will make final funding decisions, based on scores, review comments, and funding recommendations from both rounds of review.
2015-2016 RACAS funding cycle
Submission deadline: Monday, December 1, 2014; 9:00 a.m.
|Stage 1 review||January-February 2015|
|Stage 2 review||March 2015|
|Award announcement||April 2015|
|Funds available||July 2015|
Contact Kathleen Koch at firstname.lastname@example.org or 229-3699.