Application and Submission
Proposal Application & Instructions
There are three parts to the proposal:
- The basic application information is submitted via a secure Web site.
- The project narrative is submitted as a single PDF file.
- The budget spreadsheet is submitted as a single Excel file.
All parts of the application are Mac- and PC-compatible. Following submission by the PI, the proposal will be routed electronically for approval by the applicant's chair and dean or director.
Basic Project Data
The basic application information is entered directly into the secure Web site:
- PI, Co-PI(s) biographical data (include UWM appointments).
- Budget justification.
- Return on investment.
- Suggested external reviewers.
- Deliverables and milestones.
- Space needs.
It is highly recommended that you Save and Continue or Save and Exit your application frequently when working on the proposal. The Web-based application does not have to be completed in one online session. You may exit and return to the proposal from your last saved session. Once you enter a section of the proposal, e.g. budget justification, you will be required to enter some type of text even as a place holder to be able to move on to the next section. You can always return and edit any section.
You may cut and paste from other sources to complete the application, but please use a consistent font and formatting throughout.
Suggested External Reviewers
You will be asked to enter names and contact information for at least four suggested external reviewers for your proposal. The external reviewers should be nationally recognized in the field of expertise related to your work. Do not recommend individuals with whom you or any named person on the proposal may have a conflict of interest.
Due to tax reporting requirements, reviewers from the U.S. and Canada are preferred.
Conflict of interest for the RGI program is defined as any evidence of the following relationships:
- Known family relationship.
- Business or professional partnership.
- Past or present association as thesis advisor or thesis student.
- Collaboration on a project or on a book/article/report/paper or co-editing of a journal, compendium, or conference proceeding within the last 48 months.
Minimum font size is 11 point (suggested fonts are Arial, Tahoma, Times New Roman, or Georgia). Narratives are limited to six single-spaced pages with one-inch margins. Within the norms of your discipline, include the following as appropriate:
- Background, theoretical framework, and significance of research.
- Description of project:
- Specific hypotheses, aims, and methods (including measurement tools and benchmarks for success).
- Potential impediments to completion as well as alternative approaches.
- Contributions/roles of research team members; availability of or access to required equipment/resources (e.g. archives, specific populations).
- Significance of project: innovations, broader impact, contributions to the field.
- Sustainability of research beyond RGI proposal.
Save the project narrative as a PDF document. If your computer cannot convert documents to PDF, you can download the free CutePDF Writer. After you install it, create a PDF by printing your document to the "CutePDF Writer" in your print dialog box.
After converting to PDF, review your document to make sure it does not exceed the page limit.
Letters of Support
Letters of support from collaborators at other institutions who are integral to the project may be submitted, but are not required. These letters should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the heading “RGI Letters of Support.”
Before using the budget spreadsheet, you MUST do the following:
- Save the document (Excel file) to your computer. Please rename the file with the Last Name, First Name of the lead PI.
- Close your Web browser. You cannot work with the form online.
- If you have a two-year budget, you must enable macros. If you have a one-year budget, you can safely leave macros disabled.
Instructions for enabling macros:
- Microsoft Office 2003/XP/2000: http://www.mdmproofing.com/iym/macros.php#excel2003
- Microsoft Office 2007:
- Microsoft Office 2010:
- Save the file. (The RGI Excel budget spreadsheet is saved in Office 2007/2010 macro-enabled format (.xlsm). If you are using Office XP/2003, please save the file in the new Office 2007/2010 format.)
- Follow the Budget Instructions included in the Excel spreadsheet.
Ineligible expenses include, but are not limited to:
- Equipment or supply purchases, or infrastructure not critical to accomplishing the specific research project described in your proposal.
- Summer or sabbatical salary.
To submit your final proposal:
- Complete the Basic Application Information in the secure Web site.
- Upload the completed Budget Spreadsheet (Excel).
- Upload the completed Project Narrative (PDF).
- Once you are satisfied with the proposal, select the SUBMIT PROPOSAL button in the electronic application. Once you submit the proposal, you will no longer be able to make changes or additions. You will receive an e-mail confirming the submission.
Deadline for Applications
MONDAY, OCTOBER 1, 2012, 9:00 a.m..
Electronic Routing for approvals
Electronic routing for review and approval—to the lead PI's Department Chair, Director or Unit Head, and the corresponding Dean or designee—happens after the PI submits the proposal.